Content Text + geometrical drawings and photographs
Originally one of ten presentations in the joint symposium held in London in 2008 by the Society of Architectural Historians of Great Britain (SAHGB) and Vernacular Architecture Group (VAG). All ten presentations were later published under the title Built from Below: British Architecture and the Vernacular. Following the Geometrical Design Path from Ely to Jamestown, Virginia is chapter 2.
The text follows, chronologically, the repeated use of a triple daisy wheel compass geometry that generates a long rectangular proportion specifically suited to the layout of linear buildings such as cathedrals and large barns. The earliest and largest example is found in the Romanesque floor plan of Ely Cathedral’s nave, the latest in the modern archaeological recovery of the Governor’s house floor plan at Jamestown, Virginia and the smallest in two small patterned tile panels in Prior Crauden’s Chapel, adjacent to Ely Cathedral. The time scale, spanning 475 years, emphasises the continued use of a viable geometrical design methodology from 1135 at Ely to the Governor’s house at Jamestown in 1610.